MENA Investment Exchange: Energy
The Middle East and North Africa’s Gas-to-Power & Renewables Dialogue
MENA Investment Exchange: Energy (MIX: Energy) was held on 29-30 September 2016 and brought together investors, developers, financiers, policy-makers and analysts for a frank discussion of the Middle East and North Africa region’s diversified gas-to-power and renewable energy industries.
MIX: Energy was supported by Apricum – the Cleantech Advisory, British Photovoltaic Association, Clean Energy Business Council, Eversheds, the Middle East Association, and the Middle East Solar Industry Association.
• Renewable energy development in the Middle East and North Africa.
• Changing patterns of gas supply for GTP projects including domestic production outlook and gas/LNG imports.
• Innovative financial structures, commercial returns, entry and exit strategies.
• Where the region stands in the climate debate.
• Who to work with in the diverse MENA area.
• Key markets, including, Algeria, Dubai, Egypt, GCC, Iran, Jordan, Morocco, Saudi Arabia.
• The region’s political exposure in a time of stress.
The agenda included a Hardball roundtable on the afternoon of day two that provided an open discussion of governance issues, personal and institutional politics, and the capacity of governments to deliver on projects.
Panellists in 2016 included:
• Ali Zerouali, Co-operation & Partnerships Director, MASEN
• Ziad Jebril Sabra, Director of Renewable Energy Department, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Jordan
• Ahmed Badr, Executive Director, Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE)
• Javier Huergo Cruzado, Chief Investment Officer, FRV
• Moncef Ben Abdallah, Energy Expert, Tunisia
• Mark Lemmon, Executive Vice Chairman, MENA Infrastructure
• Tarek Shalaby, Commercial and Business Development Manager, Edison
• Mohamed Farghaly, Chairman, eegr Consultancy
• Kevin Sara, Chief Executive Officer, Nur Energie
• Chris Antonopoulos, Chief Executive Officer, Lekela Advisors
• Adel Baba-Aissa, Director, Renewable Energy Partner (RnE Partner)
• Minesh Mashru, Managing Partner, OM Capital Partners
• Thomas Wigley, Partner, Trowers & Hamlins
• Glada Lahn, Senior Research Fellow, Energy, Environment & Resources, Middle East & North Africa, Chatham House
• Ignacio de Calonje, Principal Investment Officer, IFC
• Bjørnar Baugerud, Senior Investment Manager – Clean Energy, Norfund
• Reza Shaybani, Chairman, British Photovoltaic Association
• Lars Buesching, Managing Partner, Solizer
• John Roberts, Energy Security Specialist, Methinks
• David Drury, Managing Consultant, Gas Strategies
• Karim Maalioun, Partner, Squire Patton Boggs
• Peter Gish, Managing Director, UPC North Africa Renewables
• Alexis Sarrazin, Director – Power & Renewables Project Finance, Natixis
• Rob McNabb, Head of Clean Energy Construction, Eversheds
• Jean-Pascal Boutin, Head of Regulatory, Eversheds
• Moritz Borgmann, Partner, Apricum – The Cleantech Advisory
• David Ludlow, Head of Business Development, UK Export Finance
• Jon Marks, Chairman, Cross-border Information and Head of Consultancy, African Energy
• John Hamilton, Director of Strategic Advisory and North Africa research, CbI and African Energy
Participants in 2016 included
Aldwych International • BioTherm Energy • Edison • eleQtra • Lekela Advisors • Masdar • North Africa Renewables • NurEnergie • Renewable Energy Partner • Scatec Solar • Shell • Solizer • Sotraco Group • UPC North Africa Renewables
Finance & investment
CDC Group • Denham Capital • GGF Green for Growth Fund • HSBC • IFC • MENA Infrastructure • Natixis • Norfund • OM Capital Partners • Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation • The Investment Fund for Developing Countries (IFU) • UK Export Finance
Officials and regional bodies
Renewable Energy Dept, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Jordan • MASEN, Morocco • Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE)
Apricum – The Cleantech Advisory • Arab Bankers Association • British Photovoltaic Association • Chatham House • Cross-border Information (CbI) • European Council on Foreign Relations • Eversheds • FTI Consulting • Gas Strategies • Jones Day • Methinks • Middle East Association • SgurrEnergy • Squire Patton Boggs • Trowers & Hamlins • UK-Algeria Business Council • The Winston Group
MIX: Energy builds on CbI Meetings’ Africa Investment Exchange (AIX) series at RSA House in London and Morocco Energy Exchange which was held in Edinburgh.