Pay-as-you-go (PAYG), roof-top solar and other off-grid technologies have the potential to scale quickly and challenge conventional power generation models. The Off-grid Investment Exchange brought local businesses and off-grid pioneers together with international developers and investors (DFIs, banks, commercial and impact investors) who are looking to buy into this fast-growing industry.
Sponsored by Lumos Global and Winch Energy, and supported by GOGLA, the 2017 Off-grid Investment Exchange was held at RSA House, London on 16 November.
To encourage an open dialogue between all participants, proceedings were held under the Chatham House Rule, with panellists leading off the discussion of each topic and questions and comments from the audience throughout.
Read Jon Marks’ off-grid energy article in African Energy, which includes a summary of last year’s Off-grid Investment Exchange at the AIX: Power & Renewables 2016 meeting.
Off-grid Investment Exchange – Agenda
RSA House, London – 16 November 2017
12h30 to 13h30 Lunch
13h30 to 15h00
Chair: Michael Franz, Team Leader, Africa-EU Renewable Energy Co-operation Programme (RECP)
• Improving transparency, measuring performance and managing off-grid expectations.
• Incorporating an off-grid electrification strategy in national policy and regulation framework.
• Update on storage, latest trends and costs.
• Pay-as-you-go PAYG or other off-grid business models: who will be electrifying households and businesses in the next 3 to 5 years?
• What part will micro- and mini-grids play in the off-grid energy mix?
Dafe Akpeneye, Commissioner, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission
Simbarashe Mhuriro, Managing Director, Oxygen Africa
Erwin Spolders, Chief Executive Officer, Redavia
Koen Peters, Executive Director, Global Off-Grid Lighting Association (GOGLA)
Andreas Spiess, Chief Executive Officer, Solarkiosk
15h15 to 16h30
Chair: Ed Harkins, Managing Director, GKB Ventures
• Is there investor over-exuberance in the solar home system market?
• Role of DFIs: creating an environment for commercial banks to participate?
• Syndication, securitisation, asset-backed financing solutions and other innovative financial instruments.
• Stimulating local capital for off-grid models.
Alexander Brummeler, Head of Finance Innovation, Azuri Technologies
Eitan Hochster, Director of Business Development, Lumos Global
Tinashe Makoni, Senior Consultant, Trinity International
James Mittell, Principal, Actis
Nico Tyabji, Director of Strategic Partnerships,SunFunder
Nicholas Wrigley,CEO,Winch Energy
16h30 End of Off-grid Investment Exchange